Drum Corps Associates (DCA) is committed to providing a work environment free of intentional and unintentional harassment, discrimination, and bullying. In keeping with this commitment, DCA strictly prohibits discriminatory and harassing conduct on the basis of a Protected Characteristic, as defined in this Policy.
In addition, DCA has a policy against retaliation. A volunteer or/and DCA staff who complains or reports harassment, discrimination, or bullying in good faith, or participates in an investigation regarding such matters cannot be retaliated against in any fashion.
Conduct prohibited by this Policy is unacceptable within DCA and in any DCA-related setting, such as drum corps shows, Drum corps meetings and DCA-related social events.
This Policy applies to all volunteers or/and DCA Staff working with DCA and all DCA related events
Key terms used in this Policy are defined as follows:
is any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, religion, age, sex/gender, pregnancy, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), or genetic information.
or abusive conduct occurs when a person directs negative, inappropriate, or unwanted conduct at a volunteer based on a Protected Characteristic. Abusive conduct is defined as malicious conduct that a reasonable person would find hostile or offensive and that is unrelated to DCA’s legitimate business interests.
is verbal or physical conduct that is based on hostility or aversion toward an individual because of his/her Protected Characteristic, or that of his/her relatives, friends or associates, and that: (a) has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment; (b) has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work performance; or (c) otherwise adversely affects an individual’s employment opportunities.
Examples of harassment and bullying include, but are not limited to, the following when based on a Protected Characteristic:
- Slurs or negative stereotyping
- Threatening, intimidating or hostile acts
- Belittling or insulting jokes
- Display or circulation in any Drum Corps related area of written or graphic material that demeans or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual or group (including through e-mail and texts)
is any unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature involving individuals of the same or different gender. Examples of conduct that may constitute sexual harassment include, but are not limited to:
- Unwelcome physical contact with sexual overtones, such as touching, patting, pinching, hugging, shoulder rubbing, repeatedly “brushing” against someone, or impeding the movement of another person
- Sexually-offensive comments, such as slurs, jokes, epithets and innuendo
- Sexually-oriented “kidding” or “teasing” or sexually-oriented “practical jokes”
- Suggestive or obscene written comments in notes, letters, invitations, e-mail or texts
- Inappropriate, repeated or unwelcome sexual flirtations, advances or propositions
- Offensive visual contact such as staring, leering, gestures or displaying obscene objects, pictures or cartoons
- Inappropriate or suggestive comments about another person’s physical appearance, body or dress
- Exchanging or offering to exchange any kind of employment benefit for a sexual concession. For example, promising permanent employment in exchange for sexual favors.
- Withdrawing or threatening the withdrawal of any kind of employment benefit for refusing to grant a sexual favor.
Consequences of Violations
Violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Duty to Report Violations
If you feel you have experienced, witnessed, or suspect conduct in violation of this Policy, immediately contact the DCA’s Compliance Office, Mr. John Carr email@example.com.
DCA has also implemented the following Policies:
– Conflict of Interest Policy
– Document Retention Policy
– Whistle Blower Policy